Wednesday, March 16, 2005

My New Love

This morning, while walking along Ayala Avenue headed for work, I saw this guy making a phone call with his Samsung cellphone. The clamshell type phone really look pretty, classy and i don't know, it just have this appeal that kicks. It was indeed an eye candy but I still didn't regret choosing my Sony Ericsson K500i over that latest Samsung E600.

Yep, I just bought a new cellphone and I just died my hair in 3 shades lighter than my natural color. I am officially blonde! hehehe

Anyways, last week was an emotional roller coaster for me that made me realize that letting go of the past, learning to forgive and forget are my only ways to get off that ride. So I thought of giving up the tangible things as a start. It's like pushing off that seatbelt which I hang on for dear life and make a one big leap off that track. And my Nokia 6610 should be the first one to go. My close friends don't have to ask why.

Nats and I realized that choosing what phone to buy is analogous to picking a love of your life. I originally wanted the Samsung E600 because I've always wanted a flip-flop type phone like that of the phones I saw in Japan. This latest model of Samsung is aesthetically what I wanted. But its features is kinda disappointing, it doesn't play MP3, it has very small memory size and its infrared is not compatible to other phones. Plus it is so expensive! Even if it fits my budget, I still think that it is overpriced. Then I found out about this K500i, which carries all the features I wanted but looks very ordinary. I really don't like how it looks especially its orange backlight, but it is very affordable, way cheaper than Samsung but it plays MP3 and Video, it has bigger memory, a camera and has Quickshare. Indeed a value for your money.

So that's where my dilemma started. With all those features laid down before me, I still couldn't decide. It was hard to decide especially when you're not sure of what you are looking for. Like choosing a partner, we ask from our close friends for advice. So I texted my friends and asked their opinions but they unanimously answered Samsung coz it looks good on a kikay like me. But i'm still not convinced, so I went to Samsung shop to take a look on their demo phone. E600 looks really good, it's like holding on to my dream phone. But when I checked on it, it was unsatisfying. I even felt suffocated coz it was too small and its features were just few, just no room to do something else. But it still looks pretty though.

Apparently Nats was confused already, so she asked me.. "What are you really looking for?" and I just answered "I don't know. Samsung is an eye-candy but lacks feature, Ericsson is ugly but does a lot of things.", and then she threw me another question "So do you really need the MP3 and video player? since that's the only big difference on their features?" and I sad "No, I just need to text and call.", and then she dropped the bomb.. "Then why are you looking for something that you don't really need?" Which made me think hard.

But the features are not the only reason for my useless dilemma... it's the cost of the unit. K500i is really cheap, I can buy a lot more with my spare money. And when it gets lost, I wouldn't feel so bad since I didn't invest on it too much. And then she said, "Why are you so afraid of losing things? Ndi mo pa nga nakukuha, natatakot ka na na mawala. kaya masyado kang takot mag invest financially at emotionally."

I never thought that buying a phone could help me learn better about myself. My personality indeed reflects on how I see things. Maybe that's why I still feel unfree, I just can't save myself from this emotional bondage. I'm just afraid of giving too much for nothing.

I decided to buy the Sony Ericsson K500i, its original price is P9,000 but I was able to haggle it for only P8,700 and I bought the spare money for the pretty leather cellphone jacket and holder.

Physically, I still love Samsung... but Sony Ericsson gave me more than I expected. It has a larger screen which made me enjoy my pictures, videos and the Java games better. I can set my favorite mp3 as an alarm signal to wake me up everymorning (instead of that boring and irritating alarm sound). So even if I'm not busy texting, I'm still enjoying tinkering on my phone. I have learned to love it. I don't mind the ugly orange background anymore.

Maybe you really don't have to know what you want, you just have to be open to know it better first. Coz sometimes there's more than meets the eye. There are things that you thought you never needed but will end up important to you, and you won't imagine how you lived without it.

I just love my new phone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home